March 4, 2009

About the Smithville Jamboree Craft Show

I have been thinking about doing the Smithville Jamboree for a while now and I think I will. There are drawbacks to doing this show though and it worries me greatly!

First, its in July. Need I say more? It will be hot. It is going to be HOT. No way around it, it can't help but be HOT. It's July! So, with that said, do people really shop when it's hot like that? I mean, I'd love to just sit there but I prefer to do my sitting in air conditioning if at all possible.

Second, the economy is rotten. I do mean ROTTEN! Will people be able to afford to splurge on handmade goodies? I try to have a variety of price points, but still, it is costly to do these shows and that doesn't even include the time it takes to prep for a show.

Third, since this is an outdoor show, I'll have to spend an additional amount of time and money to set up my display. Everything I have is designed for indoor shows so I'll have to do that too.

And fourth, I do make a wide variety of items. I have no idea what will sell best at this show and can't afford to waist time and money on items people won't want. So, I'll have to really examine my items and decide what people will be buying most. Very hard job!

Kind of sounds like I'm trying to talk myself out of the show huh? I do really enjoy the shows but I also have to consider all these things and my family too. What will they do without me over a holiday weekend??? How in the world will they manage the fireworks AND potatoe salad???

I don't know... what are your thoughts on this??? Anyone willing to pass on words of wisdom???

1 comment:

Saylorsmom said...

Hello,

I use to go every year but now I guess I am an old weinee because I hate the weather that weekend. I would think items such as your dolls would do well. I would try to do it as simple as possible just so it doesn't cost you so much. If people want something they buy it. We went to Disney in Feb. and you couldn't tell the economy was bad at all. Good luck with your decision. I doubt I have been much help.